Hagen tribes sign ceasefire agreement after deadly gun battle

Sunday, 31 August 2025, 12:24 pm

Leaders of Jika Milakemb Kunka/Palga signing the ceasefire agreement infront of Senior Provincial Magistrate of Mt Hagen District Court Betty Jacobs and the police at Sir Mara Haus on Friday (NBC News)

Two conflicting tribes in the Hagen Central Electorate have signed a ceasefire agreement following a gruesome gun battle last week. The agreement was signed on Friday, at Sir Mara Haus, the Western Highlands provincial headquarters.

The Jika Milakemb/Kunka Palga and Moge Engimb Andaklimb tribes, represented by their ward councilors and community leaders, agreed to the ceasefire after the recent conflict left five people dead, several others seriously injured, and caused destruction of properties, including food gardens. Thousands of kina worth of assets were destroyed, leaving both communities traumatized.

The ceasefire was initiated by the Western Highlands Provincial Police Command. Acting Provincial Police Commander Inspector Moses Kalandi said the fight began over a drinking brawl, despite alcohol being banned in the province.

“Alcohol has no place in Western Highlands society. Our people are law-abiding and want to live in peace,” Inspector Kalandi said. He praised both tribal leaders for showing leadership, maturity, and a commitment to lasting peace by agreeing to a ceasefire just two days after the conflict ended.

Leaders from both tribes publicly apologized, forgave each other, and committed to lay down all arms and never attack each other again.

The signing was witnessed by Western Highlands Governor Wai Rapa, Hagen Open MP and Minister for State-Owned Enterprises William Duma, Tambul/Nebilyer MP and Minister for Commerce and Industry, Mul Baiyer MP and Vice Minister for Police Jacob Kop Maki, members of the Provincial Peace and Good Order Committee, Senior Provincial Magistrate Betty Jacobs, and members of the media.

Inspector Kalandi commended the leaders and announced that a peace mediation team would visit both communities starting Monday, 1 September.

Both tribal groups agreed to the following terms under the ceasefire agreement:

  • Peace must be restored, with the ceasefire as the first step.
  • The police, under Inspector Kalandi, will oversee the peace process.
  • Tribal leaders must not obstruct the process and must provide necessary support and information.
  • All gunmen must be disbanded and withdrawn from conflict areas immediately.
  • Leaders must identify and mark areas to maintain peace and prevent hostile actions.
  • No further attacks, direct or indirect, will be tolerated, with violations subject to the law.
  • Funding for the peace process will come from state resources under the supervision of Western Highlands Parliament members.
  • Any attempts by tribal parties to incite conflict or supply weapons must be reported to the Provincial Police Command for investigation.

The tribal conflict erupted on 23 August, was quelled on three days after, and the ceasefire agreement was finalized last Friday, signaling hope for lasting peace in the electorate.