PNGFA assured of players’ outstanding allowances

Sunday, 23 August 2026, 9:42 am

Caption: PNG men's national football team at the 2025 edition of the MSG Prime Minister's Football Cup (Supplied)

The PNG Football Association has confirmed its participation in this year’s Melanesian Spearhead Group Prime Minister’s Cup, following an assurance from the Office of the Prime Minister that unresolved payments from previous tournaments will be settled.

Last week, PNGFA released a statement indicating it was considering pulling out of the tournament. General Secretary Armjad Tekwie said the statement was made in fairness to the players and their concerns.

“PNGFA did release a statement indicating that we were considering pulling out of the MSG Prime Minister’s Cup if certain commitments were not met,” Tekwie said.

“Since releasing the statement, we have had successful meetings with the Office of the Prime Minister. We have been assured that all requirements for the players will be met.”

Following the positive feedback from the Office of the Prime Minister, PNGFA is now assembling both the men’s and women’s teams for the fifth edition of the tournament.

“We have been advised to assemble both teams and commence preparations,” Tekwie added.

“I just want to clarify that our concerns were based on outstanding allowances for players from 2024 and 2025. We have provided all necessary documentation and have been assured that this is a priority and will be addressed. We are scheduled to depart on September 14,” he said.

“There were questions coming from all angles, so we felt compelled to declare our position.

“Of course we wanted to ensure that we participate in the MSG, but we also felt that we owed it to the players to ensure that, in fairness, whatever outstanding commitments made to them in good faith are satisfied before we commit to participating.”

As of Thursday, August 20, this newsroom was told that payments totaling around K469,000 are yet to be made.

Caption: PNG men's football team at last year's presentation ceremony in Port Moresby. (Supplied)

“We were assured that payments will be made before the teams leave for Fiji, and so we are still waiting,” Tekwie said.

Tekwie recalled that since December 2025, they had been advised to liaise directly with the Host Organising Committee. However, after all attempts failed, they went directly to the Office of the Prime Minister.

“We managed to reach out to the Office of the Prime Minister and we successfully did so after the publication of the press statement,” he said.

With the long delay, PNG Football advocate and initiator of the MSG Prime Minister’s Cup, Joseph Ealedona, has called for an audit and investigation into the issue, which he described as unfair to the players.

“Whatever is happening to the players is unfair and something needs to be done, and some people need to be held responsible,” Ealedona said.

As this newsroom continues to follow the issue, the men’s draw for the tournament has been released, with the women’s draw yet to be announced.

MSG PRIME MINISTER’S CUP 2026 DRAW: PNG MEN’S FIXTURES:

Thursday, September 17
4:00pm: PNG vs Vanuatu

Wednesday, September 23
7:00pm: PNG vs New Caledonia

Saturday, September 26
7:00pm: PNG vs Fiji

Tuesday, September 29
4:00pm: PNG vs Solomon Islands