PM drives from Port Moresby to Alotau

Sunday, 31 August 2025, 6:48 am

The Prime Minister and his convoy arrived at Gadaidu stopover along the Milne Bay Province highway yesterday afternoon (NBC News)

Prime Minister James Marape has completed a historic maiden drive from Port Moresby to Alotau as part of his government’s Connect PNG Program.

He was received by Alotau Open MP Ricky Morris at Gadaisu on Saturday afternoon.

Marape says it's 50 years in the making, and he was absolutely proud he was able to do this.

He says it's a third level road as it is and committed to make sure it is developed to second phase and eventually first for a sealed highway, work he says to begin by end of the year.

Baniara a sure thing- Prime Minister

The first major highlight came as Marape crossed the Central-Milne Bay border, where he addressed a concern for people in the Alotau District proposed creation of a new electorate.

Marape confirmed that would be the case come 2027.

It's been something weighing on the minds of those in Alotau District, given they had missed out earlier in the 2022 General Elections.

In fact, Alotau Open MP Ricky Morris is hoping the Prime Minister can deliver this news himself to the people of the new Baniara Electorate today [Sunday] at Rabaraba station.

The Electoral Boundaries Commission had deemed Alotau District eligible for a split, after a record population increase and far too many LLGs for one District to condent with.

Boom gate feasibility study presented at the border

Temporary boom gate Gadaisu. They want to install a permanent one at Gogosiba under this Boom Gate proposal (NBC News)

Also, at the Central-Milne Bay border, Alotau MP Ricky Morris presented a Boom Gate Feasibility Study to Minister for Works and Highways Solan Mirisim. The proposal aims to regulate and monitor movement across the provincial boundary as traffic increases with road development.

Minister Mirisim was part of the convoy accompanying the Prime Minister on the maiden drive.

One billion kina already released to contractors

Prime Minister James Marape has contended, connecting provinces through a road system needs to happen now or the country will wait forever.

He was alluding to doomsayers against the Connect PNG Program, an ambitious 20-year road infrastructure program to connect Wutung in West Sepik to East Cape in Milne Bay Province.

He confirmed that one billion kina has already been released to contractors working on the Port Moresby Alotau route.

Arrival in Alotau town to a nightime welcome

The Prime Minister's convoy arrived in Alotau last night, greeted by crowds lining the roadside (NBC News)

Upon reaching Gadaisu, just outside Alotau town, the Prime Minister was welcomed by local MP Ricky Morris before continuing his drive into the provincial capital. Crowds lined the roadside well into the night to cheer the motorcade of more than 30 vehicles.

Marape says it's 50years in the making and he was absolutely proud he was able to do this.

He says it's a third level road as it is and committed to make sure it is developed to second phase and eventually first for a sealed highway, work he says to begin by end of the year.

He called on Papua New Guineans to trust in the government’s long-term vision:

The Connect PNG Program, led by the Department of Works and Highways, is one of the most ambitious national infrastructure programs in the country’s history, designed to create economic corridors through improved road access and connectivity.

The Alotau run concludes today [Sunday] at East Cape, the easternmost tip of mainland Papua New Guinea.